10.12.2010

...please...someone let Tuffy out...

I love you and I assume you are all tanned and vacationed out. right? Well, welcome back from the vacay great family. From what I heard from both Mom and Liv it sounded fun! Oh and I just got the package of cupcakes today, delish again and thank you! So here we are again. One new exciting thing in my life- I mean besides being a missionary- is that we (sister VS and I) and getting a third comp on Wednesday when the new bunch of chinese speaking missionaries come in. 7 new sisters! Can you believe that?! We are stoked. I must admit I am a smidge nervous about having three of us because what's that saying about three's company or three's a party or something. Well it should be good though, she is going to Taichung also. boom! Ready to dominate the heck out that place. I didn't tell you this last monday BUT last monday (we do the 10 o'clock sesh at the provo temple every monday) and we were walking back and it started to rain and there we were in our skirts and what not running back to the MTC in the rain. It made me SO pumped to get to Taiwan. Apparently we will be getting there at the end of the rainy season. Eek!

Ok so I'm not going to do the rundown again but just throw some stuff out there.
First interesting thought: If the gospel is to be spread throughout all the earth then why did God confound langauages at the Tower of Babel? We had a class discussion this and basically came up with this answer. First, opposition in all things right? Opposition requires more faith, more humility and more obedience. Then what really hit home for all of us struggling to learn Chinese was that when the people of Taiwan see me (us) struggling to speak their langauge they will be grateful. They will see how much the message we have to share with them means to us. Basically it helps us help them know how much we love them. Neat huh?

On that note... We did teach our first lesson in Chinese this last Saturday. It went well, started off rough but by the end it was good, good stuff. Amazing how the spirit doesn't need us to be speaking coherent sentences to help our investigators. WE taught God is Our Loving Heavenly Father (my favorite- if we are allowed to have a favorite), prayer and the Book of Mormon. By the end I was just bearing my testimony about everything and how it is true. And I remember saying something like "I want you to have this book. I want you to read this book. Because this book will help you find happiness because this book helps me find happiness. It answers all questions no matter what." Pretty simple, pretty bad chinese but I think the spirit was there. And when we left we both felt like the investigator felt the spirit, which in the end is all that matters. (oh btw- the MTC is putting a huge focus on that. not so much us teaching by the spirit- I mean that is critical of course but essentially we need to facilitate environments and opporunities for the investigator to feel the spirit. we were told that in the sunday night fireside by the admin director of the MTC).

Last Tuesday Elder Neunschwander (emeritus general authority) came and spoke to us on 7 ways to be a succesful missionary. The first was that we decide/determine the success of our mission. And ya know what, I have really noticed that to be the case. The days I start off by saying "alright today is going to be a good day" really do turn out to be good days. No matter what. We decide and I like that. Sounds like me right? To like a sense of control to life. :)

This last week as a district we have been working on SYL (Speak your langauge) and wowsah what a difference that has made. I go to sleep thinking of chinglish sentences in my head. And as I write you peeps I often times think of a Chinese word before an English word. ha, its real great. Plus SYL-ing is hilarious. So you know how I shorten words in english like appropriate to approp and stuff? well I have started doing that to chinese words and oh boy- my teachers get a real kick out of that. I am determined to take two things to Taiwan- sarcasim and shortening words. they are in for a real treat those Taiwanese :) ha.

So at the beginnning of every relief society a Sister shares her conversion story and HOW COOL IS THIS .... the first sister form Jordan (yes the middle eastern country) shared her conversion story. She is the first sister EVER from Jordan and (EMILY SSSS She will be serving on Temple Square- look for her- she is j'adore) it was amazing. I bawled the whole time. Her conversion story was such a miracle. She and her brother were walking down the street in Amman and picked up a piece of paper from the ground with a telephone number on it and called the number. It just happened to be the branch in amman. So they talked to the man on the phone and he invited them to come to church and they came and now her whole family (minus her dad) has been baptized. Her brother is serving a mission in Brazil and she is here. Whoa! I am getting teary eyed just thinking about it right now. The lord's hand IS in all things. Don't you ever doubt that. Oooo I just love it, yikes! This life is good! Oh so good! Then Sister Jean A. Stevens - first counselor in the primary general presidency spoke to us on how to teach so people become "converted" to the gospel not just baptized. Great quote: "your voice will be his voice to those you teach, your hands will be his hands to those you love and serve."

Alright so item of business... ummm can missionaries vote ABSENTEE? Because of course I would like to vote for my dear dad. Let me know on that.

Shout -outs:
Aunt Chris I got the cookies- they were delicious and such a treat! I need your address to I can send you and the whole family a letter or two!
Kris Pattee/ The entire Young Womens- you spoiled me! I can't even believe it. To get notes from everyone was the best. We are going to have a little "welcome" party for the new sisters on wednesday with the candy, etc. thank you so much.
Quinn & Steph! the package was oh SO perfect! Our room is festive and FINALLY smells good! check your mailbox soon :)
Slace- I just got your letter off today- sorry it is late but it is coming.
Meremeremere- i got your letter, i love you lady. just know that. and of course I am writing you back.
Grandma DeMordaunt: you should have a letter from me BUT I am wondering if you could send a 4 generation pedigree chart when you write back. apparently that helps us get in the doors in taiwan because they are so focused on ancestors.
I love youALLLLL!!! Like I said before this life IS good! We can make it good.
Oh and melissa demordaunt I anticipate seeing you this sunday! woooo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment