This is the official address I am not sure what you have so there you go one more time (sorry)
Taiwan Taichung Mission
498-11 Wu Chuan Road
Taichung 404-46
Taiwan, R.O.C.
I love this life, did I mention that!? So, here I am in Tainan and whoa it feels like I have been here forever. For now I am going to do a quick run down of the details.
Tuesday/Wednesday: Travel/talking to you- which was awesome! I loved it. Oh! You all sound so good and happy. After we talked I got on a 14 hours flight to Taiwan- nothing too exciting just trying so hard to not watch the bajillion TVs that I was surrounded by. We got pretty creative using in-flight magazines and what not. Airplane food meets Chinese food, definitely not my favorite. But none the less ... we got to Taipei at 10:30 ish and then drove down to the mission home in Taichung and arrived there around 2. That night we slept at the office couples apartment and yes you guessed it...
Thursday: Woke up at 6:30 to run for a half hour- no stopping. So then comes in my first awesome story. So we ran for a half hour, which was fine- still not a fan of running but nothing killer right. Then we are running back to the apartment (with the AP's- Jake ->I was kind of cursing your name for two reasons- you like running and you were an AP who probably made new/jet-lagged missionaries run like me- yikes, go get your rope) and we stopped at a stop light and first morning in Taiwan and of course I am going to contact right, that is what I am here to do so why not. I turn around (all sweaty and out of breath) and start contacting a 16 year-old (ish) girl in my very broken Chinese. THEN as I am about half way through saying the (long) name of the church in Chinese I got super lightheaded and felt like I was about to puke, like really puke. I said "dong yi xia" which means wait a second, put up my finger like hang on and stumbled over to a wall next to the gutter and pretty much puked. Yep, not kidding. So awesome, so legit. First contact on island. NBD.
The rest of that day was just mission orientation- we had hot pots for lunch (google it) and then we had a really traditional Taiwanese meal with peking duck (brain included). THEN Dan Jones in a night market. I think they sent you a picture or two and perhaps a video also. Pretty awesome so be in a night market with "babylon" if you will, all around and preach the gospel from a box. I was on the box for 30 seconds or something and then ran out of things to shout in Chinese with a Book of Mormon in my hand. I still can't believe I did it, whoas. After that moment an old Sister from that area grabbed me and we started contacting. In a contact we try to "add" which means we get their information, set up a time to meet with them and then give them an invitation to be baptized (with date). That is what we try to do all day everyday at every stoplight or where ever and since I have been with my companion in Tainan we have gotten 70 "adds." Our goal is to get loads of "adds" and then see who shows up to lessons and find our progessing investigators from that group. (just fyi)
Friday: Another run, no more puking. Traditional Taiwanese breakfast which was like a Mcdonalds egg mcmuffin meets cabbage, hamburger patty and some sweet mayonnaise sauce. Plus soy milk to wash it down. It was suprisingly good. Then a smidge bit of touring around Taichung. And then dun dun dun my trainer. Sister Howard! She is amazing. Ok this is craziness but believe it or not I have actually met her before this mission life. She worked at a kibbutz in Jerusalem while I was there and she came to church at the Jerusalem center and I totally remember meeting her. Super crazy when we put that together. She is amazing! oh my goodness she loves missionary work and is always going. Her previous companion(sister bretzke) "died" this last transfer so she was with us for the last three days before her flight home to Canada. So it was kind of like having two trainers for a few days which was awesome. They were/are both so stellar. Sister Howards excitement about the work is contagious. She sort of thinks about missionary work like a game with numbers and people and appointments and trying to get everything done in one day. The first night in Tainan I got to partcipate in my first lesson with a real investigator who is getting baptized this Saturday- Pan Jiemei(sister). We also have another investigator getting baptized this Saturday- zhong an. People here in Tainan are so ready for the gospel, we have had two people just stumble into the church and have a first lesson.
Since Sister Bretzke was leaving we have been eating at members houses for like every meal which was interesting. I like the food, sort of. I am getting used to eating food that you smell on the streets all day. I have only kind of gagged (in a secret sort of way) once. So thats good. I got my bike which is awesome. Biking here is seriously like playing mario cart (ash I am going to dominate when I get home becuase this is so the real deal). There are literally scooters everywhere, you can't even imagine. They are everywhere. And no one follows the traffic regulations, it is pretty much a free for all with two little missionaries in skirts dodging and sometimes chatting with people riding next to us as we haul down the streets. Man this life is good! Sometimes in the mornings, like during personal study and comp study I feel a smidge like - ok here I go again - insert pep talk here. But the second I get outside the door of our apartment and start talking to people and fall in love with this work all over again. Chinese is coming I try to say whatever I am thinking with whatever words I know and its pretty makeshift but works.
The weather here is beautiful! Humid but 70 ish degrees. not too hot and not too cold. I love it, too bad it's not like this year round. Our apartment is big but sort of dirty. Nothing too gross though. Hmm I think that is about it.
Like I said- the people here are so ready for the gospel they just don't know it.
I love you all! And I love this life and seriously more than ever know that I am nothing with out Heavenly Father helping this work along. I just want to be a better tool in his hands. Love Sister DeMordaunt!
p.s. let tuffy out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment